Which do I do more of these days, shopping or real estate? Well, shopping, obviously. It is Christmas time, and have you heard the national news on the real estate market? Yes, slow and slumpy… So, while I have all of this recent shopping experience fresh in my mind – I thought I’d share a few of my favorite spots around town to find unique gifts and enjoy a distinctive shopping experience – something that is becoming harder and harder to find in this corporate shopping economy.
- Jadore: My favorite. I love their rugs and they always have interesting home accessories and decorative pieces, creatively and artfully displayed. This is a great place where I routinely find gifts for my new homeowners; I especially love their special selection of ferns, ivy, and unique planters. In addition, the owners are very friendly.
- Bon Bon Atelier: This is a good place to find gifts for the youthful and girly woman in your life. They have adorable shoes, locally made dresses and clothing, books, housewares, jewelry. Always something pretty and new.
- The Curious Sofa: I love to go here for inspiration. I believe they have the best and most creative use of space and displays in town. Entering this store makes you feel that you have entered a totally different environment – kind of like a beautiful lacy Victorian country home but one that is totally tasteful and modern. You will find home decor items, jewelry, furniture, candles, postcards – just all kinds of oddities and curiosities.
- Nell Hill’s: This is also a fun store if you like beautiful and creative displays. The store is set up like a big mansion with rooms upon rooms of different colors and themes. You’ll find all manor of decorative items for the home and gifts.
- Pryde’s of Westport: This store is THE place to go for kitchen and cooking stuff. I think their slogan is something like “the hardware store for cooks”. It is just bursting with stuff for the kitchen and home. Also, this is a fun place to take family and out of town guests – they even have cool grilling stuff the guys like to see.