American Craftsman Bungalow
Also known as bungalow, cottage, craftsman cottage, craftsman bungalow. Many of the bungalows that are seen in the Kansas City area are American Craftsman Bungalows. There are many different types of bungalows across the country and even in Kansas City, but this type is most prevalent. Here are some general characteristics according to American Bungalow Magazine Website:
- Street-Facing gables with composition or shingled roofs
- Painted or stained brown or dark green (to merge with nature)
- Wide overhanging eaves
- The sleeping porch
- Front Door opens directly into the living room
- Dark wood paneling
- Plastered ceiling (sometimes crossed geometrically with wooden beams)
- Always a fireplace
- Casement windows
- Arched opening flanked with bookcases separates living room/dining room
- Bedrooms with woodwork painted a light color
- Kitchen built-ins
The American Craftsman Style of architecture occurred from about 1900-1930.
Here’s an example of a home for sale that is an American Craftsman Style Bungalow. You’ll notice the overhanging eaves, the street facing gables, the built-ins on either side of the fireplace, the prominent fireplace in the living room, the dark trim.
If you were in the Minnesota area I would send you to Twin Cities Bungalow Club Book Collection at Merriam Park Library, St. Paul I can assume that you have your own bungalow society in Kansas City, It is a nice city, too. Been there alot and always ednjoy the drives through the old neighborhoods in the Ardmore area and along Ward parkway.
[…] the week carries a high price tag at $739,900, but it really is an exceptional home. It is a rare, craftsman-style ranch home with 3 Bedroom, 3 Baths, that backs to the trolly-track trail. There is a sign out from […]