Open House Etiquette
An “open house” is when a Realtor will go to a house that is for sale and let the general public view the home without an appointment. In our city, these generally happen from 1-4 on Sundays. Many of my clients have asked for advice on how these work and what they should or should not do when visiting an open house. So here are some tips for open houses i wanted to share:
- Anyone can visit an open house – you don’t have to feel like you have to be ready to buy.
- Always sign in for the agent if there is a sign-in sheet.
- Feel free to talk openly with the agent. Most agents are just there to help and would be very excited if you decided to work with them when you decide to purchase or sell your home.
- If you want to visit more open houses, many times the agents will know of other homes in the area being held open. Feel free to ask them!
- Always let the agent know if you are already working with a Realtor.
- Be sure not to disrupt items in the home, and if it is inclement weather, always ask if you should remove your shoes.